Bla(c)kwose Priory


Priory of St Nicholas

Founded before 1158 as a daughter of Lavendon, but became so poor that its 5 canons and 1 lay brother used to wander about the country to the scandal of the order.  It was therefore transferred to St Radegund’s in 1203/4, which repaired the buildings and paid the debts.  It was then impoverished through the invasion of 1216, but once more restored by St Radegund’s, later on becoming a grange – probably around 1377

Value in 1538:  £8