On Belfast Lough, about 8 miles from Belfast
Founded *probably between 1181 and 1203 by John de Courcy, who was Earl of Ulster between those dates, (CARRICK). * before about 1183 (KNOWLES)
Called St Mary’s Abbey, Goodburn or Woodburn, but dedicated to the Holy Cross.
De Courcy gave several churches, including St Nicholas’. Which still thrives.
The site is now Carrickfergus Industrial Centre.