Abbey of St John the Evangelist, founded by William, count of Boulogne and Mortain and 2nd son of King Stephen, who died in 1159. Founded about 1150. Community didn’t arrive till 1162. Some doubt about which William this was, though, as there was a William ‘Porcarius’ benefactor at a later date. Colonised from Newhouse.
Late 12th century buildings: first buildings completed in 1162. Aisleless nave. Single aisle on side opposite the cloister was an after-thought. Buildings much enlarged in 13th century: cloister extended over site of early E range and N transept, new transept built further E, presbytery extended, S aisle added. Fire of 1326 led to rebuilding of W part of nave arcade in 2 bays and reconstruction of piers of E arcade of N transept.
Cloister and dorter were on N side of church. In 13th century alterations, new dorter built on west of cloister.
Lavatory projects into the cloister and is rectangular: both features are unusual. Warming-house fireplace visible. Refectory built over an undercroft. Fragmentary remains of early rere-dorter, probably pulled down in 13th century alterations. Small remains of an infirmary. Buildings much enlarged in 13th century: cloister extended over site of early E range and N transept, new transept built further E, presbytery extended, S aisle added (CLAPHAM)
Quick increase from 13 to 26+ canons, as Blanchland was colonised from here with 13 canons in 1165 and Cockersand around 1190.
Involved in an early dispute over the parentage of Leiston between Durford and Welbeck. Abbot adjudicated along with abbots of Beauchief, Newhouse and Bayham (THOMPSON)
Almost burnt down in 1326, and possessions later devastated by the Scots. Abbot and prior were only senior canons to survive the Black Death. 1363 papal dispensation was obtained to ordain 12 canons under age of 21.
1377: 29 canons; 1482: 26 including abbot, 3 novices, and 7 canons resident outside, but not the prior of Hornby; 1497: 25 including abbot, 2 novices, 4 canons outside serving parishes; 1500: 28 excluding prior and a canon of Hornby present at the visitation; Sep 1538 surrender: abbot + 18 canons at Croxton, with prior and 2 canons at Hornby.
Late 15th century, extensive building works, rebuilding E end of presbytery and adding ‘curious’ chapel S of nave – work unfinished by Dissolution; by 1500 had built and